The Iron and Steel Industry in Scunthorpe was established in the mid 19th century, following the discovery and exploitation of middle Lias ironstone east of Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, England.
From the early 1910s to the 1930s the industry consolidated, with three main ownership concerns formed – the Appleby-Frodingham Steel Company, the Redbourn Iron Works and Normanby works. In 1967 all three works became part of the nationalised British Steel Corporation (BSC). These are the roots of the three houses.
The rise of the Scunthorpe iron industry began with the discovery, or the rediscovery of the early Romano-British workings, of the Frodingham ironstone ore field in 1858-9.
Although various landed families in the area helped to nurture the infant industry, it was the Winn family of Appleby (and Nostell Priory near Wakfield) and especially Rowland Winn, who was the most active in establishing ironmaking at Scunthorpe.
The Winn family emblem is the spread eagle, which is why the house emblem of Appleby is an Eagle and it can be seen throughout Nostell Priory the Winn family home. Nostell Priory