The Iron and Steel Industry in Scunthorpe was established in the mid 19th century, following the discovery and exploitation of middle Lias ironstone east of Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, England.
From the early 1910s to the 1930s the industry consolidated, with three main ownership concerns formed – the Appleby-Frodingham Steel Company, the Redbourn Iron Works and Normanby works. In 1967 all three works became part of the nationalised British Steel Corporation (BSC). These are the roots of the three houses.
The rise of the Scunthorpe iron industry began with the discovery, or the rediscovery of the early Romano-British workings, of the Frodingham ironstone ore field in 1858-9.
The last of the steelworks to open in the area was that of John Lysaght which started production in 1912. It was the only works to be built in Scunthorpe as a fully integrated Iron & Steel Works. The Lysaght’s works was always known as such even after it changed ownership and became the Normanby Park works.
John Lysaght was born in County Cork, Northern Ireland in 1832 and was educated in Bristol, England. It was whilst at Bristol that he formed a friendship with a family who had developed a relatively novel process of hot-dip zincing to the production of galvanised buckets. A well-to-do member of the family who had no aptitude for business gave the firm to Lysaght as a free gift and so the firm that was to become so well known in Scunthorpe was born.
Before the year 1857 was through, the Orb trademark well known around the world and this is the reason for the Orb being the logo of Normanby House.