Redbourn House

REDBOURN

The Iron and Steel Industry in Scunthorpe was established in the mid 19th century, following the discovery and exploitation of middle Lias ironstone east of Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, England.

From the early 1910s to the 1930s the industry consolidated, with three main ownership concerns formed – the Appleby-Frodingham Steel Company, the Redbourn Iron Works and  Normanby works. In 1967 all three works became part of the nationalised British Steel Corporation (BSC).  These are the roots of the three houses.

The rise of the Scunthorpe iron industry began with the discovery, or the rediscovery of the early Romano-British workings, of the Frodingham ironstone ore field in 1858-9.

1872 established as the Redbourn Hill Iron and Coal Co in 1872 by a group of Birmingham investors.

1874 The works took its name, not from the village of Redbourne but from a group of hillocks of reddish sand which were known locally as the Redbourn Hills and this is linked to the Hill logo

The company was granted a site for its works on the eastern side of the North Lincolnshire Company's furnaces. Here two furnaces were erected, each seventy-five feet high with twenty-foot boshes.